Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Capital Gains Are Your Friends

It's official: Tax season has arrived. I just received my post-holiday present from the IRS, and the reality that I will soon be filing my taxes hit home. For those out there facing long-term capital gains (i.e., you've held the stock for at least one year), go check out this single Q&A (one question and one answer) on the subject at USA Today by clicking here.

The tax implications of any investment, of course, should be considered for most mortals. After all, whatever qualifiers are used, the only return that matters is the one that is all yours - not the gross, not the pretax, not the 'before fees' not, in short, any qualified return except the net-after-tax-all-mine return. Because all the middlemen and women have to take their cuts before you get yours. So, while you may beat the false target of an index on a gross basis, what does it matter if that's not what is really and truly yours? On the topic of personal finance, I recommend a quick click over to Robert Kiyosaki's column on Yahoo! Finance to check his post titled "Why the Rich Get Richer" that I posted on earlier.

No comments: