Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Steve and Bill Can BOTH Kiss My A**: Or Why I Need A MacBook Pro Running Windows XP Pro

I arrived home yesterday evening at around 6:30 pm, and found that half of the memory I ordered on line had arrived. I checked the status on line of the other half and discovered that it is set to arrive on the 11th, although it shipped on the same day is the stick I received. Curious, but I digress. You see, this is a brief post about my upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP.

I had been planing to upgrade my second computer at home to Windows XP ever since the moment after I had experienced first hand on our main home computer just how much better an OS it is than Windows 2000. Now that more than a year has passed since upgrading the first computer, I thought the memories from that first upgrade would be if not completely burried, then at least sufficiently suppressed to allow me to once again tempt the fates and see the world through the eyes of Bill Gates.

I bopped upstairs, went to the back room (which will be renamed 'Guest Room' if it ever gets cleaned), opened up my laptop, dropped in the new stick of memory, closed it and fired it up to make sure the installation went as planned. It had. All in all, the first 2 minutes of my upgrade went as smooth as silk. In hindsight, a little too smoothly. I should have seen the signs, but my excitement made it much to easy to ignore the sudden chilling of the room caused by the cold spot over the Windows XP Pro CD, and block the faint cackling in my left ear. The tinge of hunger was dismissed out of hand because I knew I would be done with this and hurriedly eating my dinner in about 15 minutes. Then I put in The Disc. Click this, click that. Estimated installation time: 60-90 minutes. Oh, sh*t...

At 10:30, I decided to "take a break" and get something to eat. The OS was loaded, and now the computer was waiting for the rest of the programs to be loaded. I went to the kitchen, opened the fridge and weighed my options. You know what, PB&J + Coke = Crazy Delicious!

At 1:00 AM, after the third round of installing and uninstalling Norton Anti Virus 2006, I left the computer and went to bed.

I saw the new MacBook Pro with the Intel Core Duo! :o Drooollllll... This post was typed on my updated laptop. It's got Windows XP.

No comments: